Thursday 18 February 2016

Church of Wang



Alexander Wang that is. You know how some shows just speak to you, last time it happened for me was Chloe AW15 and Saint Laurant SS15. Now I know Alexander Wang AW16 is pretty heavy and grunge compared to these but you can't control what you love I suppose.  Currently, my main inspirations are coming from he 90s. Not that typical Grunge or Brit Pop but those cool bands and people that are just under the surface of this- X Girl, Pavement and behind-the-scenes Marc Jacobs. For me, Wang has pretty much epitomised that grungy/goth but super cool girl 90s vibe. 

Wang is another Fashion genius to come out of New York fashion schools, coming a little after the 90s but the influences are clear. Known for cool, urban garms, he dropped out of Parsons to open his own label in 2005 then took over as Creative Director at Balenciaga in 2012.

The softest mohair mixed with metal hardware, harsh graphics and androgynous models, maybe I love it so much because my bother watched so much Kerrang and Scuzz when we were growing up. There is a definite Wang Tribe but you have got to be cool to join, these people don't just play at being attitude-y. Its the total opposite of that super glam or super kitch which seems to also be having a moment. It's kind of this in the 70s where you had to pick Black Sabbath or Abba- I would definitely be Sabbath.

Anna

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou so much for commenting! I always visit everyone that comments