Sunday 9 October 2016

Tate Modern: Sublime//Surreal







Last time I was in London I ended up with a free afternoon so went on down to Tate Modern. I went mainly to make up my mind on all the “so called modern art” stories and came away very impressed with what was on display. The building itself is really amazing, from the cavernous exhibition space on the bottom floor to the view from the 10th.

I thought the groupings of the art was done beautifully to really make you think and question what you were looking at. For the more surreal pieces, it seemed to me to be created as a reaction to war or hardship, like it’s the artist’s way of accepting or explaining it. Some of the pieces are there to provoke thought, so those that slate it are doing what was intended? It is good to be opinionated and have conversations about what art is to you.

I enjoyed the Guerrilla Girls prints that deal with Sexism in the Art World. They were a group of activists in the 80’s but their campaign is still relevant as walking around the gallery, it is mainly the artwork of men. I thought their posters were really well done and packed a punch with the message.


Also check out the Tate Britain for the Turner Prize finalists


Anna

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou so much for commenting! I always visit everyone that comments