Wednesday 14 October 2015

Raw Print




I used to come to Nottingham all the time but since moving here for Uni, I am starting to appreciate the really cool creative scene that's happening. So much is going on including Raw Print. Raw Print celebrates independent magazines and holds a monthly talk in the super cool Lace House. 

This month was Union and Elsie magazine, both very different but equally inspiring. 

Union covers stories of bazaar people and groups from various corners of the world. The front cover features Trevor, leader of a Cali biker gang and the back, a former cocaine lord. Union's focus is on story telling with some amazing photography in there too. I loved the gritty, grungy vibes of the magazine and the advise of shameless promotion: you won't get anywhere without it.

The talk about Elsie magazine really made me view the way something can be published in a different way, it doesn't have to be particularly regimented or uniform. Les Jones, the one man band behind the magazine, creates each magazine so each one is a pretty much one off, I thought this was so great especially in a world of fast fast fast. The current issue is based on a sign full of stickers and where they all came from, just proves that you can literally do anything you take an interest too. 

As soon as I got out the door, I wanted to go and grab some paper and start a mag of my own even if it was just prit stick and biro. It is such a good way of expressing whatever your passion is or whatever you think needs to be said. I will 100% be going to the next event, you can find out more on Facebook here.


Anna 



3 comments:

  1. One of my head lectures runs this! Unfortunately I still haven't had the time to pop along to one of their events, sounds like you had a fab time though! x

    holljc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way Holly! What course are you doing?

      x

      Delete
  2. wow great pics

    http://carrieslifestyle.com
    Posts online about Rio, Amalfi, Egypt...

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for commenting! I always visit everyone that comments