Saturday 2 July 2016

Culture: Kaws









Blog is back

I've just moved to Milan for a month and when I'm not working I'm gonna write about what I get up to- so just blogging right?

We shall start with an exhibition back on home turf that has actually just finished. A massively popular instillation from a pretty genius artist- Kaws. At the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, on a super rainy day provided a perfect backdrop for Kaws' gloomy pop sculptures which tower over you. 

The New York based artist created the sculptures with help from Hollywood set producers and takes inspiration from graffiti and pop culture. The largest piece in the exhibition was on a main shopping street in Hong Kong and is entitled "Companion". 

My favourite piece was the 5 paintings created especially for the exhibition. I was amazed when I found they were in done in acrylic as they are so smooth and could almost be prints. The acrylic was applied with microfiber brushes to create this effect, it reflects the precision of the sculptures. 

You can see still see the outdoor sculptures till December at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and find more out about Kaws here.

Anna


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou so much for commenting! I always visit everyone that comments